Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday, November 17, 2006

Inland Empire

I suppose its about time I mentioned this one really. Long overdue, and I slap my wrist at not having done it sooner. Thing is, I just wasn't that jazzed about it when I first heard about it, and, well... I suppose I dropped the hat a bit. David Lynch is hard at work again, and in many ways. One of the more surreal ways, was a couple of weeks ago when he decided to embark on an adequately surreal advertising campaign for his new movie, Inland Empire. Its usually about here that I'd offer some kind of meager offering in shape of a synopsis, but in true Lynch style, I ain't gonna, because when he was approached about the movie and what it was about Lynch responded that it is "about a woman in trouble, and it's a mystery, and that's all I want to say about it." Fair enough. Anyway, as I was saying, he was out on an advertising campaign last week with a cow on a leash beside him and a huge poster saying "FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION". With Laura Dern's face smack bang in the middle of the poster, it seems its more a promotion of her performance in Inland Empire. Check out the fruit sat on his laurels with a cow on a leash beside him over HERE

What a nut!

Suffice to say, this article wouldn't be very interesting if I left it there, so the movie itself is looking likely to be another voyage into the utterly surreal and frustratingly challenging with "a plotless collection of snippets that explore themes Lynch has been working on for years," including "a Hollywood story about a young actress who gets a part in a film that might be cursed; a story about the smuggling of women from Eastern Europe; and an abstract story about a family of people with rabbit heads sitting around in a living room."

The film supposedly includes several hallucinatory scenes, and Naomi Watts' character in the film is as one of the aforementioned "talking rabbits", in a cameo role. It is unclear if Watts' character corresponds to Lynch's web-only film series, Rabbits, in which she also appeared.

So, while with one hand I offer apologies for leaving this one out in the cold for so long, with the other I shrug and say - It just didn't sound like I was gonna dig it!

Still don't, but kudos to Lynch for mainting such a solid career in making completely surreal movies! Here's hoping I'm pleasantly surprised at Inland Empire, for which there's currently no scheduled UK release, but I'd expect that to come pretty soon as Lynch seems keen to take the movie on tour in the states in January. Lynch is distributing the film himself, having bought the rights from the film's producers.

No comments: